Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Stuff

When I moved out to the island, I had a party and gave away 2/3 of my stuff to family, friends and ultimately Amvets. It felt like taking off the roller skates and walking so lightly. Plus, it continues to be fun to go to friends' houses to visit my stuff. They use it so much better than I ever did.

Erika gave me a link today that I loved reading over dinner (Woohoo! no TV!) Here's a little piece of it that I read a couple of times.

I think humans constantly scan their environment to build a mental model of what's around them. And the harder a scene is to parse, the less energy you have left for conscious thoughts. A cluttered room is literally exhausting.


How much better did I feel on break from school when I was able to put my room to rights after months of piles and furniture moved in haphazardly?

A lot. It was the first thing I did once I woke up. Sleep is good. Sleep is very good. So I got a lot of it over break.

I wonder if I've drifted away from that roller skate feeling. I wonder what I can do about that?

Read the rest of the essay here. It's worth it.

No comments: