Monday, January 21, 2008

A Lovely Waste of Time


I know that I have a ton of reading to do for Org Theory and an internship search that needs some attention. However, I just can't seem to stop crafting.

I saw this project a week ago via CRAFT Magazine and it has been haunting me ever since. So, late tonight, since the day is a wash for job searching and Org Theory anyway, I just bit the bullet and did it while Talledega Nights played in the background (let me assure you, there is no need to pay it more attention than that). I'm pretty pleased, both with myself and with how it turned out.

I only made a few changes to the project that was very well explained. I don't have freezer paper and I found that it wasn't really necessary. I just used regular scrap paper and tore carefully. Also, instead of lace at the top, I put a grommet since the hook that was above my bed when I moved in was curved and I thought the heart would look good directly on it.

Here's the heart in a little bit of context. My room is fairly whimsical and I like it that way. When I first moved to Chicago, once all the furniture was in and the curtains were up, my brother Daniel said, "Well, it looks like a princess lives here." I don't usually fall for the princess marketing, you know with the glitter and attitude. But I do like the word whimsical and the design aesthetic that goes along with it. So, if that's also a princess, then I'm stuck with it.

And yes, that is every single blanket I own piled on that bed. It's frickin' cold out here, people.

Finally, just so you'll believe me that it's truly cool, here's a close-up of a couple of the hearts. I used the fabric that I'm collecting for some charm quilts that I'm making. The red one at the bottom has monkeys AND bananas and the words. "cheeky monkey."

I am so easily amused.

I have said before that I am a dilettante of crafts. I move from one to the next with no loyalty whatsoever. Nor do I ever really go deep into the skill of more complicated projects. However, I do delight in stocking up on supplies: yarn, beads, cloth, odd little plastic figures, a variety of letters, silk flowers, glitter, a million types of glue, grommets, ribbon. If it's colorful or kitschy, I want it.

The benefit to this is that when a project idea haunts me, often I don't have to go to the store to indulge myself. Generally, I've already got what I need and I got it on clearance at some point.

You've got to take your successes where you can get them and I'm probably not going to get them in Org Theory.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fabric and think the grommet is a great idea. I wish I had one of those tools. Nice to meet my Chicago neighbor.

Anonymous said...

I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.

PrincessMax said...

Random, Dave. Random.

Anonymous said...

how is that random?! you mentioned Talladega Nights, so I quoted it!

make the connection, Murphy!

PrincessMax said...

See, remember the part where I said it was just on in the background? That doesn't lend itself super-well to recognizing bits of dialog, even though I know you them so much.