Wednesday, November 24, 2004


Things here are at coasting level. I'm sleeping in much later than I want to because the light stays dawn-y most of the day when it's rainy, which it is quite a bit. I suppose I could set an alarm, but where would the fun be in that? I was yucky sick last week, which actually worked out for the good because it made me stop freaking out so much that I need to fill all my time with meaningful experiences. I HAD to just sit and do nothing much for the better part of a week. Now, Jeff is sick and I spend a lot of time doing nothing much to keep him company. Of course, low and behold, some interesting things have happened over the last week and a half. I was involved in two committee meetings AND I'm planning (not much work actually) Thanksgiving with another girl out here. We're gathering up the loose ends without family for potluck T-day. One guy is bringing a leg of lamb, I'm bringing cookies and everyone else will bring various weird-o vegetarian side dishes. I hope they use lots of cheese. We'll also bring our own dishes and silverware. A new experience in itself. Back to the committee meetings. One was for the Orcas Center for Performing Arts Youth in Theatre committee and one was for the Exchange. I'll be attending my first show sometime this weekend as the kids will be doing a production of The Last Flower. I have no idea what it's about but I wish my head wouldn't think, "Maybe I can get a script for Speech out of it." I'm thinking a little bit about auditioning for Romeo and Juliet but I'm not sure I'm ready to commit that much time to something. I've already volunteered to help coach people to really understand their lines and to deliver them slowly. Maybe that will be enough. So, to summarize, illness has caused some of the angst to dissipate, leaving actual life in its place. Who would have thunk it.


Anonymous said...

I hope that your Thanksgiving went well. I remember my first Thanksgiving away from the family and my potluck with friends. It is one of my favorite memories and I hope that yours was just as memorable.


PrincessMax said...

Thank you for sharing your experience, Mary Lena. Thanksgiving did go well. It was a quiet evening of five of us. Nicole hosted the event. She lives in what used to be the goat shed on one of the local organic farms. It's actually quite nice and has been closed in and finished. Lots of windows and beautiful little details made from rescued parts, like an old double farm door with a classic catch. I did talk to the family a little and that was hard because there is nothing quite like all six of us together, which means, of course, that we can join forces to make fun of Dad to an appreciative and participatory audience. Mom also waited until the year I left to replace the turkey with lobster tail. I have never liked turkey! :-)

So, thank you for your kind thoughts and kudos go out to another Murphy family grandchild for having the guts to appear in verbal public by commenting on this site. Woohoo!